- Change the oil and filter.
- Do not wash the car the day you put it in storage. The car
should be washed
and driven a couple of days before to get the water out of parts, like
the doors. I always recommend that a car be driven after every car cash.
- Wax car and the chrome.
- Put 30lb.to 40Lb. of air in the tires.
- Fill the gas tank and put a can of Sta Bil in the tank to
stabilize the gas during
storage. (Sta Bil is available at marine and lawn mower shops auto
- On a unfinished concrete
floor, place a vapor barrier under the car (like a tarp)
or sheet of plastic and drive the car onto that. This keeps any
from harming the underside of the car.
- Remove Air Cleaner with engine running (high idle) pour in
about a pint of oil.
Re install Air Cleaner turn engine off remove keys.
- Put a light coat of Vaseline on doors and the trunk for
- Spray all door and trunk seals with silicone.
- Disconnect the battery or pull fuse for clock to prevent
battery drain. If your
car has a burglar alarm, DO NOT set it unless you plan to charge the
every 3 to 4 weeks. The alarm will drain the battery if it is left on.
- Check the antifreeze to make sure that it registers between
-20 to -10 degrees F.
- Check that your window washer reservoir is full.
- Use a good grade of vinyl treatment on vinyl to prevent it
from drying out.
- Leave doors and trunk closed.
- Block windshield wipers off the window.
- Put the car in gear instead of using the emergency brake .
- Raise car up a little just to remove weight off the spring.
This will also kept the
tires from getting flat spots.
- Push your clutch in once a month.
- Use some kind of moisture
adsorbed material, I got mine at Wall Mart.
It's used closets and basements follow there instructions.
- Get some Decon this is a
rat and mouse killer. Put some in the car on
a pie plate on the floor another in trunk and lastly one in engine
- Air Cleaner what ever kind
tape it shut, that so if mice try to get in you'll see it.
- Any chrome goodies under
hood spray some silicon on them.
- Chrome wheels same thing
spray them also.
- Here's one don't laugh put
note on windshield so you can read it from outside
to where the keys are.
- I do not recommend running
the engine because a warm engine creates water
condensation when it cools down. But if you do start the car make sure
at normal operating temperature before shutting it off. Jim the